Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Well, I Did It...

Here it is--the groveling letter for better or worse. Kudos to Kara for pointing me to Philippians 4. She wanted me to look at verse 19, "And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus." However, it was an earlier verse that caught my eye. Anyway, here's my epistle...

Dear Pastor Brown:

Writing this note has been the most difficult thing I have ever done. I have written it in my head, on paper and in e mail draft probably 20 times. I have been one who has always been able to meet my needs. I know that the Church of the Resurrection has a fund for those who are struggling with unemployment. Due to extended unemployment, I find myself needing some financial help at this time. So somewhat hesitantly, I turn to ask for help from the church.

I am not in danger of being homeless. My home is paid for. However, I need assistance with utility costs--electricity, water and telephone. I can provide whatever documentation is needed, and am agreeable to whatever method would be done.

I continue to actively seek work, and I would expect that this activity will be increasing over the next couple of weeks.

When I was talking about how hard it was to write this letter with a Christian friend, she directed me to refresh my memory of Philippians 4. I thought it a bit presumptuous, but when I read this familiar but deep bit of Scripture I found my attention focused on Philippians 4:14. After Paul described how he had come to have peace with whatever situation he was in (Phil. 4:11-13), he found himself rejoicing simply when reflecting on the care that the church in Philippi had given him. I think this is something the church has sometimes neglected, this ministering to the needy within our own walls. We should rejoice every time someone can honestly say, "Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles." (NIV) Once I get back on my feet, I hope to "pay it forward" with regularity. I have come to realize that I took many things for granted and now truly treasure the blessings God has given me. I'd say that is one (of many!) spiritual lessons God has taught me over these past two years.

If there are questions that need to be answered, please feel free to contact me, either by email or by phone xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Thank you very much.

Blessings to you,

XX

So we'll see what happens. The phone is good for a while. The water company just shifted to monthly billing, so who knows there. I need to check on the electric bill's status. Hopefully, all the winter current is paid for! Need to keep going, to keep doing these hard things that cause me anxiety...

No comments:

Post a Comment