Monday, June 28, 2010

Step Study Homework for June 30

Principle 1: Realize I'm not God. I admit that I am powerless to control my tendency to do the wrong thing and that my life is unmanageable.

"Happy are those who know they are spiritually poor." Matthew 5:3

Step 1: We admitted we were powerless over our addictions and compulsive behaviours, that our lives had become unmanageable.

"I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out." Romans 7:18

I'm going to try and at least post the questions here in the blog, even without answers, just to have sort of a different forum to work things out. After the years of therapy and groups and other yada yada I've done, I would have thought these were pretty simple, but first glance does not give me ready answers especially for the first two. I might try to rough something out real quick--then I need to compose the groveling email.

So, we have...Bible stuff, which I can't do, because the Well didn't have any more of the CR Bibles, and...

Study Guide questions:
1. What areas of your life do you have power (control) over? Be specific.
  • What I do daily--I set the agenda or try to.
2. What areas of your life are out of control, unmanageable? Be specific.
  • I can't control fear and anxiety very well. It definitely hinders me from doing the things I need to do.
  • Relationships are a struggle--due to the rejection I fear.
3. How do you think taking this first step will help you?
  • Oh, I know I'm not god. I figured that out a while ago. Just going back and admitting that my own effort and power is not sufficient to over come sin is a good thing.
  • Make sure that there is not something I am overlooking.
  • Enlist an Ally in the struggle against negative thoughts and the Evil One.
4. As a child, what coping skills did you use to get attention or to protect yourself?
  • I tried to protect myself by being perfect.
  • I tried to please people--peers and family.
5. In your family of origin, what was the "family secret" that everyone was trying to protect?
  • Oh, Lord, which one?
Hmmm, this might be too personal for blogging...might need to edit here, a little, and let it all hang out elsewhere. We'll touch base occasionally here however.


No comments:

Post a Comment