Wednesday, December 29, 2010

More From the Innertubes--On Atheism

I wanted to look at more goodness on NYC's stumbling around with their blizzard (Michael Bloomberg sounded a lot like Mayor Funky there for a while!), and found this on the website of the New York Daily News.


This article sums up the way I feel rather well. The arrogance of many atheists--especially Bill Maher who frankly, I just can't stand. It isn't God that some of these people denigrate the most--it's people of faith. It is as if we are not intelligent or worth knowing if we happen to believe in God. Money quote:
It's these snarky and condescending rejections, not of faith itself but of those who profess it, that reflect a total unwillingness to learn something new about human nature, the world around us and even of science itself. While the neoatheists pay only cursory attention to dismantling arguments for God, they spend most of their time painting his followers as uncultured rubes. The fact that religion has inexplicably persisted, even despite Copernicus, Darwin and the Enlightenment, doesn't seem to have much sociological meaning for them
Go fight with God, please. I try hard to accept you on face value, without judgment for your atheism. I will not try to convince you to believe. I will not talk about "God things" unless we mutually agree to talk about "God things." In the end, we may end up agreeing to disagree about our respective faiths. However, your value as a person and as part of God's creation has not been diminished for me due to your beliefs. Do me a favor, and extend to me the same respect for my personal value and integrity even though I believe that there is a God.

BTW, the comments to this are hysterical! The atheists in the crowd are all upset that the author is sympathetic to believers. They engage in ad hominem attacks on her like crazy, calling her stupid among other things. My personal favorite--"AINO"--atheist in name only.

No comments:

Post a Comment