Friday, February 25, 2011

Doing the Right Thing

A lot has been made of the story of the Overland Park man who returned the money he accidentally got (instead of his food order) at the KFC over on 119th Street and Metcalf.

It's just the right thing to do to return it.

Here's a story I haven't told too many people. I was tootling down ___ street ready to make that turn onto N___ when I saw one of those aluminum clipboards in the street. At first, I drove by it, but then I stopped and turned around to pick it up. It turned out to be a Time Warner cable guy's clipboard.

It had forms filled out with names and such, checks for payments and CASH money in it.

Oh, boy.

Where could I take it? To the police station? Too complicated. Time Warner had little offices then--places where you could order cable and pay your bills. Where was the nearest one? My brain whirred. (No BlackBerry then.) It came to me: Grandview, in the Grandview Plaza, near the little bar and the Chinese place that used to be there.

So I took it there. And they were amazed. Seriously amazed. They offered me three months of cable for returning it. I turned them down, since then, as now, I have peasant vision only.

It's just the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment