Saturday, July 9, 2011

Simplicity, Part 1 at least

I was wandering around the blogosphere, just clicking links from Observer and from TKC and clicking more links and you know, wasting time on the internet. (Some play games, I read stuff and look at pictures. Shrug.)

All this is to say I came across some links talking about taking up living simply and without such a dependence on material goods coming in. I have been confronting exactly how much stuff I have and how much is duplicated and I could live with less. I mean really, if you have water to wash with, you only need one of everything appropriate to the climate and occasion. When it gets dirty, you wash it. Two would be nice, because then you could know for sure you will always have one ready, and it would reduce wear and tear to rotate. OK, two of everything.

If we all did this, the economy would be toast. Our economy is built on consuming stuff. We support each other by buying and selling stuff. Our whole economy would have to shift.

Now some believe (and it must be noted that I am "live blogging" here and this is not a forensic argument) that this inevitable as resources dwindle. We will all end up with a greatly lowered standard of living.

What is standard of living? Each has something that they feel is important to standard of living. In most cultures, a single person living in a free standing house alone would be unheard of, riches beyond most people's reach. Yet, just on my street there are two of us.

Standard of living that is essential: Sanitary sewer, clean water, available housing, safe food, adequate personal cover.

Not finished, but finished for now. So what does this have to do with Spiritual Formation you ask? We'll get there I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment