Friday, June 10, 2011

I Not Only Believe It, I'd Stake My Life On It

That's a "Hamilton-ism"--he says it with regard to the Resurrection. I applied it last night to the idea of the Holy Spirit changing us to our inner core--yes, HOLINESS.

Scratch this newly minted United Methodist too hard and you find a Nazarene, a person committed to the idea that the Full Gospel includes the idea that the Holy Spirit works in the yielded heart to make a person look and act more and more like Christ.

It's funny, but since starting to attend a United Methodist church, I have come to appreciate this core doctrine of the Church of the Nazarene even more, as well as the wesleyan way of thinking and dealing with information. I am frequently thankful that I did not get saved in a Baptist church--I think the many places where Baptists are inflexible, and the rule against women in ministry would have annoyed me enough that I would have stepped on toes and it would have gotten unpleasant.

Joel 2 comes to mind especially this part--God is speaking through the prophet:
And afterward I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. Even on my servants, men and women, I will pour out my Spirit on those days. (vv. 28-9 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment